Monday, September 18, 2006

Disneyland 1956: Arriving In Style!

I had a request for more heliport pics after my post a few weeks ago. It included the backstage heliport entrance behind the Tomorrowland Skyway Station in 1956. Here it is again...



I didn't think I had anything else until I found two shots at the end of a 1956 trip to the park.

Say, "Howdy" to Enud and Gurdt....


Out from Seattle, WA, these fine looking folks arrived by rental car and departed their Disneyland dream vacation via helicopter.


After dumping the 1956 Plymouth Savoy rental at their picturesque North Garden Room and a skinny dip in the pool at the swank Coral Swim Club...


...Enud and Gurdt hopped aboard one of the powerful Disneyland Hotel Trams to cross West Street to The Happiest Place On Earth!

The simplicity of its tasteful color scheme made even the loud and diesel-stinking tram look like candy in 1956!

Well, i'll post pics from their Disneyland adventure later...

There were only two shots of the copter but I thought I'd toss 'em up for you to see...


The air service was provided by Los Angeles Airways and took passengers to and from LAX to Disneyland in about fifteen minutes flight time. Too bad that's gone!


As it's 1956, this is still the first Disneyland Heliport near the 5 Freeway off of Harbor Boulevard. Guests would travel to and from the Disneyland Hotel by tram.

In 1960, the heliport was moved to its new location north of Disneyland Hotel.

Well, say so-long to these fine folks and thank 'em for taking us along for the ride!

4 Comments:

Blogger Matterhorn1959 said...

That last picture is of an early security bag check! Done by a Disneyland Security officer none the less.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Major Pepperidge said...

Amazing photos. They must have been taken during one of those zombie attacks, because everything looks so deserted.

Oh man, the chance to hover over 1950's Disneyland with a camera...I'd bribe the pilot to stay up a bit longer.

8:59 AM  
Blogger thepicklebarrel said...

major...

they stopped that practice of hovering the copters over the park as there were too many complaints of skyway passengers being spit upon from above.

go figure....

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what I was looking for! I knew I'd arrived at Disneyland by helicopter some time in the 50's but didn't have any proof that was true and my kids would not believe me! Wish I had photos from those days.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com